~ A Westerwald History ~

by Master Steinologist Jack Lowenstein
(Prosit, March 1991)

 

This thumbnail history was taken from a large descriptive poster in the Westerwald Ceramics Museum, Höhr-Grenzhausen, translated by the author. The popular name for this area is Kannenbäckerland, hence, "Land of Jug Bakers" or "Jug Bakers’ Land". Today the area generally includes the Westerwald cities of Höhr-Grenzhausen, Grenzau and Baumbach.


14th century

Hard-fired stoneware starting ca. 1350, red-brown and flamed utilitarian articles.

1402

First documented mention of potters in the town of Höhr.

End 16th century

Blue-grey salt-glazed stoneware. Master potters from Siegburg and Raeren relocate to the Westerwald area.

1643

Cooperative Guild, with its own Guild coat-of-arms, of all "jug-" and "stein-bakers" living within a 5-mile radius of Grenzhausen.

17th century

The golden era of Westerwald stoneware.

After 1650

Manganese violet is used as glaze colorant in addition to cobalt blue.

1771

More than 600 potters work in the Westerwald.

1776

The "pipe-bakers" Guild of the Electoral District of Trier ((Kurtrier).

1786

First documented mention of "Jug Bakers’ Land" (Kannenbäckerland)

1804

Termination of the Trier District jug-bakers’ Guild.

1814

Termination of the local jug-bakers’ Guild.

1846

Beginning of mechanized manufacture; the first clay-cutting machine in Höhr.

1863

First clay pipe (conduit) press in Höhr.

1865

First steam-driven machine in Höhr.

1868

Reinhold Hanke founds the first "Fine Stoneware Factory" (Feinsteinzeugfabrik) in jug-bakers’ land. First appearance of "Historismus".

 

1879

First stein press in Baumbach.

1882/83

First round furnaces in Höhr and Grenzhausen.

1894

Approximately 270 ceramic establishments, with about 2000 employees, in jug bakers’ land.

After 1900

Beginning of Jugendstil stoneware. Well-known artists prepare designs for Westerwald stoneware: Ernst Laurenty, Henry van de Velde, Richard Riemerschmid, Paul Wynand, Peter Behrens, among others.

1902

Development of copper red glazes in the salt furnace.

After 1920

Introduction of slip-molding in jug bakers’ land.

Since 1927

Resurgence of artistic handiwork (Elfriede Balzar-Kopp and Wim Mühlendyck).

1952

First gas-fired tunnel kiln in the Land of the Jug Bakers.

Mid-1983

The last of the wood-fired salt-glazing furnaces is shut down because of environmental considerations; only furnaces equipped with gas-scrubbing equipment may be used for salt-glazing.

 

Source:

http://www.steincollectors.org/library/articles/W-Wald.html

 

Corzilius / Corcilius Genealogy HomeHome Page